What is a Mid Cap Fund?
A mid-cap fund is an equity mutual fund. Like all other mutual funds, they are a pool of money managed by a professional fund manager. Mid-cap funds invest in mid-sized companies that fall between Rs.500 Crore to Rs. 10,000 Crore in terms of market capitalization. This makes it less volatile in comparison to small-cap funds.
Who should invest in Mid Cap Funds?
Whether or not you invest in mid-cap funds depends on your age, risk appetite, financial goals and portfolio allocation. There are certain benefits or pros of investing in Mid-Cap Funds. If these appeal to you then you must consult your wealth coach. The benefits include:
- Mid-Cap funds usually outperform large-cap funds
- Mid-Cap funds are less risky than small-cap funds
- Mid-Cap funds offer more liquidity than small-cap funds
- Mid-Cap funds invest in companies which are reasonably stable
What are the risks of investing in Mid-Cap Funds?
While mid-cap funds have the above-listed benefits there are certain disadvantages or cons of investing in mid-cap funds as well.
- Mid-cap funds while better than small-cap funds are still reasonably volatile
- They are long-term investments and can be loss-making in the short term
- Liquidity can be an issue during rough market cycles
- You need a financial expert to help you pick a good mid-cap fund
Why invest in Mid Cap Mutual Funds?
The thing to note is that the intent to invest in mid-cap funds alone is not enough. You must ensure that your portfolio is balanced and is aligned with your risk appetite and time horizons. That said here are some reasons people invest in mid-cap mutual funds:
- Higher growth potential: mid-cap companies usually perform better than large-cap funds
- To diversify your portfolio: If the rest of your portfolio is low-risk & low-return
- Ideal if you are an aggressive investor: You must be ready to handle volatility
- Like many other investments, mid-cap funds are best for long term investors
Should You Invest in Mid-Cap Funds?
To tell you whether you should invest in Mid-Cap funds a lot more information is required. You should never pick mutual funds to invest in on your own. Always consult a financial advisor or Wealth Coach for this purpose. You can also try Cube Wealth’s QuickSIP feature to check which funds suit your risk appetite.
Check out our video on How to Build the Perfect Investment Portfolio
Book Your Free Consultation Call
With A Cube Wealth Coach!
Schedule a call based on your convenience.
And get an expert to help you invest.
Grow your money without wasting time
on stock picking, poring over excel sheets, financial news, analyzing market trends, tracking the Sensex, researching company fundamentals, comparing mutual funds, reading financial reports, trying to predict the future & losing your sanity!